Arms & Legs
Who gets an arm/leg lift?
- Having plastics surgery on the arms and legs is becoming a favorite procedure among weight loss patients. It is also popular for patients who have stubborn fat/extra skin of the upper arms or legs that doesn't respond to exercise.
- Over 70% of the patients who choose to have this procedure are over the age of 40, and have been thinking about body contouring for a while. Most patients have had one or two plastic surgery procedures before, or have been strongly considering it for some time.
- The cosmetic benefits can be apparent immediately after surgery, and continue to get better over time. There are theoretical medical benefits including less skin irritation, or heat rash, aka "chub rub" of the inner thighs, however insurance companies do not consider this necessary and do not cover these procedures.
- Many patients say that after surgery it is easier to find clothing that fits well, and it is easier to exercise without having to manage the extra skin/fat in the area.
What are my surgical options?
- While the arms and legs can be complicated and require surgical finesse, there are a few central steps that are common to both:
- There are two components to the tissue being removed: skin, and fat. The first thing to consider is the fat, as this will dictate how much skin needs to be removed (if any).
- The fat is typically removed with liposuction, either directly in the area of interest, or circumferentially around the arm/leg to decrease the overall size/shape. If performing liposuction is enough, and the skin has enough elastic quality, you may not need any other incisions.
- Once the fat is removed the skin can be addressed. For patients with moderate to severe excess, surgical excision is the best option. If the skin is only mildly lax, performing energy tightening can be a good option.
- The procedure takes around 2 1/2 - 3 hrs total, and is an outpatient surgery (go home the same day), usually within 2-3 hrs after the surgery.
What is involved in the process?
Step 1: Contact us! We'd love to hear from you! Our team will schedule your visit for a time that is convenient for you.
Step 2: Meet our team to hear about the options for a tummy tuck, and receive your personalized quote. This consult usually takes around 1 hour. We will discuss your medical history, and take photographs and measurements in order to accurately present the surgical options.
Step 3: Consider your options and decide which one is right for you. OF COURSE if you have any additional questions, please call us. We are always happy to review the information or send you more details.
Step 4: Approximately 10-14 days before surgery we will meet with you again to review the information, finalize any financial arrangements, and make sure your prescriptions, garments, are 100% taken care of, and any last-minute questions are answered.
Step 5: On the day of surgery, we like to make things as simple as possible. No complicated paperwork, no last minute changes, just a safe, comfortable environment to foster relaxation, and healing; and to make sure you have the best possible outcome.
That's it! You are done! We will see you back several times post-op to make sure you are doing well, and healing as expected. Welcome to your new body! You are going to love the way you look!