Who gets liposuction?
- Liposuction is the second most common plastic surgery procedure in the United States. Women utilize this procedure more often than men, but this gap is decreasing. There were over 250,000 of these procedures performed last year.
- Most patients are between 30-60 years old, and have been thinking about having surgery for weeks to months, sometimes even years.
- The cosmetic benefits typically include removing excess fat, enhancing curves/contour, reshaping arms/legs, flattening abdomen, accentuating abs, eliminating hip rolls/love handles, or it can even be performed circumferentially (back, front, and sides) to completely reshape the torso!
- Many patients also combine this surgery with a tummy tuck, brachioplasty (removal of extra skin from the arms), or thighplasty (removal of extra skin from the legs) for an even more dramatic result.
What are my surgical options?
- Liposuction can be performed in a variety of ways, and can be combined with skin tightening procedures for maximal results.
"Wide awake lipo": This procedure utilizes some of the most modern advances in local anesthetics to completely numb the area. It is frequently combined with mild sedation, usually taking pain or anxiety medications beforehand to allow for a more relaxed experience. This can be done in the office. One of the benefits is being able to watch the dramatic transformation happen! The ideal candidate has a few areas of concern without large amounts of skin excess.
Problem areas: This procedure focuses on a few areas that are more full and possibly have more skin excess than a typical "wide awake" patient. Most common areas are tummy, hips, arms/legs, back and submental (double chin). Patients frequently have 2-3 areas of concern and usually elect to go to sleep for this procedure to allow for a more thorough fat removal and skin tightening.
Full/circumferential: For patients who have a more diffuse fatty tissue deposit, this can be a great option! Circumeferntial liposuction involves removing fat from the tummy, sides, hips, and back to allow a 360-degree tightening of the skin and fatty tissue around the core. The results can be pretty dramatic, and frequently patients need to get a new size wardrobe within a few weeks of surgery.
- Skin tightening: most patients do well with lipo alone, however if you have excess skin, or cellulite, combining with a skin tightening procedure can really help get the final appearance you are looking for.
- Fat grafting: is another adjunct to liposuction where the fat that was removed can be placed back into the body (breasts, buttocks) to naturally accentuate curves without having to use implants.
- The procedure takes around 1 1/2 hrs per site treated, and is usually an outpatient surgery (go home the same day), withing 2-3 hours after the surgery.
What is involved in the process?
Step 1: Contact us! We'd love to hear from you! Our team will schedule your visit for a time that is convenient for you.
Step 2: Meet our team to hear about the options for a liposuction, see what type is a good fit for your, and receive your personalized quote. This consult usually takes around 1 hour. We will discuss your medical history, and take photographs and measurements in order to accurately present the surgical options.
Step 3: Consider your options and decide which one is right for you. OF COURSE if you have any additional questions, please call us. We are always happy to review the information or send you more details.
Step 4: Approximately 10-14 days before surgery we will meet with you again to review the information, finalize any financial arrangements, and make sure your prescriptions, garments, are 100% taken care of, and any last-minute questions are answered.
Step 5: On the day of surgery, we like to make things as simple as possible. No complicated paperwork, no last minute changes, just a safe, comfortable environment to foster relaxation, and healing; and to make sure you have the best possible outcome.
That's it! You are done! We will see you back several times post-op to make sure you are doing well, and healing as expected. Welcome to your new body! You are going to love the way you look!